Building a strong team is both possible – and remarkably simple.
The Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team™ has a simple goal: To facilitate a learning experience that helps professionals and their organizations discover what it takes to build a truly cohesive and effective team. The Five Behaviors profile, which provides both individual and team feedback, is grounded in the model described in The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, the internationally best-selling leadership fable by Patrick Lencioni. With this program, participants will learn how, as a team, they score on the key components of the model: trust, conflict, commitment, accountability, and results. Additionally, the program is powered by Everything DiSC®, a model that helps individuals to understand themselves and others better. Using these results, participants will be able to create a better, stronger team.
The single most untapped competitive advantage is teamwork.
To gain this advantage, teams must:
Trust One Another – When team members are genuinely transparent and honest with one another, they are able to build vulnerability-based trust.
Engage in Conflict Around Ideas – When there is trust, team members are able to engage in unfiltered, constructive debate of ideas.
Commit to Decisions – When team members are able to offer opinions and debate ideas, they will be more likely to commit to decisions.
Hold One Another Accountable – When everyone is committed to a clear plan of action, they will be more willing to hold one another accountable.
Focus on Achieving Collective Results – The ultimate goal of building greater trust, conflict, commitment, and accountability is one thing: the achievement of results.
The Five Behaviors Model is used to help team members learn to work together more efficiently and effectively and become a more cohesive team. A productive, high-functioning team:
- Makes better, faster decisions
- Taps into the skills and opinions of all members
- Avoids wasting time and energy on politics, confusion, and destructive conflict
- Avoids wasting time talking about the wrong issues and revisiting the same topics over and over again because of a lack of buy-in
- Creates a competitive advantage
- Is more fun to be on!
This one-day program is designed to help team members understand how they and the team score on the key components of the Five Behaviors model. Overview of the program:
- Introduction to the Five Behaviors model and review of current team score
- Explore the team’s current trust level and how their behavioral styles impact trust
- Understand different approaches to conflict and explore healthy and productive debate
- Evaluate and discuss the team’s current level of commitment
- Explore the team’s current level of accountability
- Understanding of the team’s expectations and focus on collective results
The team journey is a deep dive into the key components of what makes a cohesive team. It is a comprehensive, team-transforming experience, and includes the following:
- Individual Kickoff Meetings
- Group Kickoff Session, leveraging the Everything DiSC Workplace profile to enable team members to understand and explore the priorities of themselves and others
- Full-Day Introduction to the Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team Model, the team’s results, and the first of the Five Behaviors: Building Trust
- Five Half-Day Sessions providing a deep study of the team behaviors including engaging in healthy conflict, fully committing to decisions, enabling accountability and focusing on achieving collective results.
- Team Leader Coaching, to individually support and encourage the team’s leader in leading the team forward through the process
- Team Coaching Session, delivered several weeks after the last half-day session, providing situational exploration of the team’s behaviors and how the team is making new habits sticky.
What do you do when your patients are happy…but your hospital staff isn’t? A healthcare leader at one of “America’s 50 Best Hospitals” turns to The Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team to transform a diverse department into a healthy team. Read the success story of this Fort Myers hospital.
Robin Perry recently led the leadership team at the Alliance for Positive Health through the process. Click on the video to hear what they had to say.