by Michael Holland
Do you have 3 minutes? A tremendous array of leadership education materials can be accessed on the Wall Street Journal website for simply the price of the online edition and the investment of a few minutes.
The WSJ’s Lessons in Leadership series contains step-by-step how-to’s, WSJ stories and video interviews with CEOs on management and leadership topics. The CEO videos range from 40 seconds to several minutes and reveal great advice from current and former CEOs from companies such as American Express, Ford, Aetna, PWC, and UBS. The how-to guides provide nice primers on topics and quick tips for those with even the most over-booked schedules.
The site is divided into broad categories which are listed below.
- Developing a Leadership Style
- Building a Workplace Culture
- Recruiting, Hiring and Firing
- Managing Your People
- Managing Change
Coaching Thoughts – For You and Your Peers
- Spend the next 5 minutes signing up for the WSJ online and then watch one video in less than 2 minutes.
- Tomorrow, invest a few minutes reviewing the topics. Decide which might be valuable to you and which might be good to recommend to someone on your team. Watch another short video.
- The next day, read a how-to guide.
- During your commute home, take a few moments to think about the brief education snapshots from this week. Were they helpful? How did you apply the knowledge? What topic(s) creates curiosity for you?