The successful introduction of a new leader can sustain or enhance a team’s effectiveness. Unfortunately, it often takes a long period of time for a team to learn about its new leader and to reach a common understanding about expectations and operating style. This can present challenges to both the leader and the team. When a new leader assumes the responsibility for an organization, the transition often…
- Can take six months or more for a group to decipher a leader’s preferred approach and to work effectively together
- Will be a “hit or miss” process
- Tends to be an individual or 1-1 learning experience
- Often causes employees to hold back until they feel secure
Objectives of a New Leader Integration
- Accelerate the transition of a new leader.
- Set expectations and get issues on the table early on.
- Create an open climate to deal with potential mis-perceptions, issues and conflict.
- Shorten the amount of time for leaders to add value.
- Build the trust and relationships more quickly between the leader and their team.